International Cyber Policy
DevOps engineering is all about delivering software to devices. Software delivery plays a critical role in many aspects of the critical infrastructure ecosystem which we rely on. It impacts user experience, security, developer experience, network management and so on. DevOps engineers write software which automated the every day tasks of software developers and systems administrators. For example, a DevOps engineer at a company might be charged with writing a software suite which allows developers to deploy software updates to all of the company’s customers with the click of a button. …
This afternoon Derek Chauvin was sentenced to 22.5 years in prison for the murder of George Floyd.
I heard several pundits on CNN briefly mention that justice is a flawed system but then go on to argue that Chauvin should have been sentenced to prison for a longer period of time.
I quickly came to the conclusion that I have absolutely no faith in the prison system at all. I found that I believe it does no good for anybody whatsoever. I could not stop asking myself “what good comes from a prison sentence?”
I found myself dismissing arguments that…
An enumeration of (often embedded) disinformation narratives which are contributing to disruption of the world’s critical infrastructure during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This post is a living document and a work in progress. To make it easier to read I am in the process of slimming it down. This means that EACH OF THE ENUMERATED LINE ITEMS BELOW IS A DISINFORMATION NARRATIVE despite the fact that they are written without explicitly declaring that each one is a disinformation narrative.
The effects of disinformation on non combatants during COVID-19.
As I discussed in a previous post, disinformation tactics today are often themselves deployed or delivered through violent means.
In addition to more traditional means of spreading disinformation through both traditional and social media belligerent actors frequently target individuals who have been either trained or educated to use analytic techniques.
Belligerent actors target local, county, state and federal law enforcement officers exploiting real time structured analysis to communicate politically motivated messages using directed energy weapons and the Frey effect.
They are currently doing so to disrupt institutions which maintain order in…
I argue that violence against non combatants results from the loss of efficacy of conventional power.
In the previous two episodes of this series I discussed the different types of actors and their statuses under IHL and then I drilled in to discuss the ways in which actors distort perception by way of cyberspace.
In the next episode I provide a running list of the disinformation narratives I have encountered since the COVID-19 pandemic has begun (though some of them I did also encounter before). In this article I position many of the disinformation narratives as a function of great…
An exploration of remoteness and how it affects threat, attribution and legal analysis of attacks. Warning: this content can be “triggering.”
I recently wrote a Medium essay which covers some of the ways in international humanitarian law protects civilians caught in urban conflict zones facing emerging threats from cyber weapons and cyber enabled weapons. I felt I needed to publish the first refresher because of the disorienting amount of disinformation civilians encounter. Much of the disinformation I encounter is intended to or serves to obfuscate and subvert the legal mechanisms which IHL provides to civilians trapped in conflict.
Edition #4 | August 17, 2020
* Democratic National Convention begins this week starting tonight. DNC will vote on next Democratic presidential candidate. Biden, Harris ticket expected to win DNC nomination. Convention will be primarily virtual.
* FBI issues statement on Wednesday the 12th after helicopter shooting incident near Manassas, Virginia occurred on Monday the 10th.
* Texas based FBI field office issues press release regarding missing 14 year old Veronica Montiel. Montiel was last seen on June 6, 2020 in Rio Bravo and may be in Mexico.
* https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/sanantonio/news/press-releases/fbi-seeks-publics-help-in-locating-missing-girl* World…
Edition #2 | August 13, 2020
Here is a list of things to follow. Check back for updates throughout the day and stay tuned for links to RSS and email feeds!
* Domestic: * Millions of newly jobless American’s laid off because of the COVID-19 pandemic are still waiting to hear about jobless benefits as Democrats and Republicans fail to reach an agreement. * Georgia school district orders 1,100 staff and students to quarantine after students show signs of infection during the first week of school. * New Jersey debates best plan of action for school reopening; offers all-virtual courses.…